Sunday, January 13, 2008

From Stepping Stones To Towers Of Knowledge

Besides making changes to the morphology of this weblog, I am also giving some thought as to how information is stored and how it is decided what information will be stored and where.

I have to disagree with Jon Barger's perspective on weblogging to some some extent.

1. A true weblog is a log of all the URLs you want to save or share. (So del.icio.us is actually better for blogging than blogger.com.)

While I am still enamored with del.icio.us, this weblog's posts do serve as a narrative thread for this endeavor. That to my mind is a very important function if this weblog is to serve as a learning tool for me.

I also use this portion of the weblog to combine, compare and contrast ideas from various sources. The goal is to do more than just repeat what somebody else has said, which all to often is repeating what somebody else has said. I am grateful for the sources, and those providing them serve as a filter and litmus test, but I want to go one step further in putting this web 2.0 experiment together.

These posts though are, for the most part, merely stepping stones. They should lead to a more substantial body of online knowledge. The same is true for many of the articles and blogs that this weblog interacts with. This is not to besmirch anybody, but most posts are of temporary and limited importance. Linking somebody's temporary post to one of my temporary posts makes sense to me but not including it in an online folder or under a tagging system. This goes back to my idea that in order for this to be an effective knowledge base it can't just throw everything that it comes across into permanent and accessible storage. This may be more my psychological hang-ups than any relevant technological insight.

No comments:

Post a Comment